Monday, October 22, 2007

Note from Patricia

Hello Family and Friends –

Welcome to our blog and thank you for your interest in our adventures. We are very excited about the road ahead. First thing's first. My knee injury was a bit heartbreaking. As Levi wrote earlier this month, the loss of this year’s World Championships was tough when it was still ahead and transpiring. But recovery is now going very well and the timing has left me with a shot at the Olympic gold, so you will not hear me complaining.

This is not to say that I handled the beginning stages of my rehabilitation perfectly at every step… I did go through a few stages of mourning and, er, denial, for a few moments. When Dr. Thomas (great guy) read me my MRI and relayed news of my missing ACL, my first reactions was, “Maybe I never had one of those, perhaps I do not need it…” -relaying what Levi calls my superb understanding of biology. Then I said, “I do not see my name on that chart, I don’t think it is mine.” But I did let eventually the news sink in and the good company in the room helped me decide that if it was a choice between being 30% at this years Worlds or 100% at the Olympics, then it must be the latter. Levi helped focus me, once again, by giving me half a day to freak out and then we sat down and developed a new plan for our journey. It has been up and up ever since. I have a great many people investing many hours into helping me return faster, better, stronger to the mats. I know my story will be a bit different now, but that’s all that happened, it’s just different – we still have a peak to build and I still have everything that is important to me.

Again, thank you all for tuning in. The longer into my journey I go, the more important it seems to share it with good people. I hope to do just this through by increasing communication and using this blog to keep us in touch. Levi has assured that he will make it interesting and update it fairly consistently.


-Patricia

No comments: